It’s good to be a man, and it is especially good to be a masculine man. Men who achieve the ideals of masculinity have it better in almost all areas of life. They get more attention from women. They get more respect from other men. And they end up physically and mentally stronger than their more effeminate counterparts. If you want to be taken more seriously, then it’s time to reclaim your masculine edge.
This is how to look more masculine…
1) Build Muscle – Out of all the qualities that are associated with masculinity, strength stands head and shoulders above the rest.
In fact, strength is the defining characteristic of masculinity.
That’s not to say women can’t be strong, but the fact is, a woman is not seen as less of a woman for being physically weak, whereas a man is seen as being less of a man for the same.
If you want to look more masculine, rather than looking like a ‘girly man’ for the rest of your life you need to build some muscle.
The benefits of weight lifting are too numerous to mention. Not only will you look better and get more respect from those around you, but you will get more attention from women, be healthier, and gain some self respect.
It takes determination and drive to go to the gym every day and lift heavy shit.
Lifting weights isn’t fun.
It doesn’t feel good.
In fact it often hurts.
The reason a lot of guys don’t build the bodies they dream of isn’t because they don’t know what to do. It’s because they know what to do and just don’t want to do it.
This isn’t a “how to build muscle” post, so I’ll just give you the basics which are summed up pretty solidly by the acronym “S.E.A.L.” which stands for Sleep, Eat, And Lift. (Appropriately I first heard this acronym while training with the US Navy SEALs.)
If you get enough SLEEP, EAT enough protein, carbs, and fats, AND LIFT heavy weights, you will build muscle.
2) Grow Facial Hair – One of the biggest benefits to growing facial hair is the perceived increase in jaw size. On a primal level the jaw line is a symbol of masculinity and strength.
Facial hair is a slippery slope though. There is nothing that can make a man look more manly than a well groomed beard or just the right amount of stubble. Unfortunately, it can also be the quickest way to look like you don’t take care of yourself. Only consider growing out facial hair if you are already at a low body fat percentage. Being ripped with stubble make you look manly, while being fat with stubble just makes you look like a slob.
3) Lower Your Body Fat – Testosterone makes you lean, while estrogen makes you fat.
Women naturally have higher levels of body fat because they have less testosterone, whereas men have lower levels of body fat because they have more testosterone.
Lowering your body fat will not only make you look more muscular (It’s hard to look ripped when your muscles are covered by a layer of fat.) but it will also make your face look leaner and more defined.
The key to losing body fat is simple…
STOP EATING SO MUCH DAMN FOOD.
I see guys all the time pounding back Double Quarter Pounder meals with fries and a large drink who then go home and probably sit on their asses all day playing World of Warcraft. Is it any wonder they are twenty years old and already fifty pounds overweight.
Put down the Big Gulp and pick up a barbell.
Get off the sofa and go for a run.
No woman wants a fat, out of shape slob who can’t even run a single lap around a football track.
She wants a man who is lean and fierce who looks like he could fight off a pack of wolves, not become their dinner for a week.
4) Get Tan – Most people don’t know this, but testosterone actually has a slight skin darkening effect. Because of this, women on average, have a lighter skin tone than men.
Tanned skin also creates an optical illusion which makes it appear as if you have less body fat than you actually do. This is why professional body builders get such ridiculously dark, often chemically enhanced tans before shows.
You don’t need to go as far as pro bodybuilders – and I would advise against fake spray tans – but make sure you spend some time out in the sun so as not to look like a pasty computer nerd.
As an added benefit, vitamin D is a vital element for the body’s production of testosterone. If you’re deficient in vitamin D, tanning can actually increase your testosterone levels.
5) Grow Taller – Humans, like many animals, are sexually dimorphic, which means that males and females are different in size and appearance.
It’s better to be tall than short.
- Are more physically imposing.
- Look better in suits.
- Get more attention from women.
- Make more money on average.
- And have a statistically higher likelihood of attaining a position of authority.
Everything from becoming the CEO of a company to getting elected President of the United States becomes more likely when you are tall.
Again, this is due to the fact that masculine traits like height are associated with strength and leadership.
Despite what you might think, there are actually a few scientifically validated methods for growing taller.
6) Get Tattooed – Cultures throughout the world practice tattooing as a rite of passage into manhood or to mark important life events. Tattoos show that you aren’t afraid of pain and they definitely makes you look more edgy. They can also act as a symbol of who you are as an individual, or mark you as a member of a certain group. Plus it’s no secret that women love them.
7) Build a Big Neck – One of the most overlooked physical differences between men and women in terms of sexual dimorphism (after height and muscle mass) is the size of the neck. Large necks are an inherently masculine trait.
Building a bigger neck will make you look more masculine quicker than a lumberjack eating a pancake. You could be five feet tall, but if you’ve got a thick neck you’ll look like a man.
Take a look at the picture on the right. The only difference between them is the size of the guy’s neck. The guy on the right looks like a pro football player, whereas the guy on the left looks like someone who works in your company’s IT department.
Until next time,